Monday, April 27, 2009

Where the Jungle meets the Sea!

My apologies for not posting yesterday, it was a very busy morning and afternoon. I went with Miss Lorna and Shanton to church at St. Michael's yesterday morning. They did not ask me to do any services yesterday which I was grateful for, it was really great to be able to sit and participate in the service with the rest of the congregation. That did not stop Miss Lorna from asking me to read and then preach a quick homily on the spot for the congregation. I was nervous, but very happy to do so.

It was lovely to see some of the parishioners again. As we pulled up in front of the church a bunch of the little children who I had taught how to serve last summer were waiting for us. It was wonderful to see them, they sat right beside me in the front row of the church, crawling all over my lap as we particpated in Morning Prayer, led by Miss Lorna. We stuck around for a few minutes after the service to chat with other women at the church and to catch up. They all seem to be doing so well. I've missed them tremendously.

From there we decided to take a trip out to the graveyard to see Shawn (Shanton's mom's grave). He's been having trouble going to see the grave and tries to make up excuses as to ways he can not visit it. I asked him yesterday if he would show me where it is. Once I explained to him that I wanted him to show me where it was so we could visit together he was more willing. We sat on her grave and told stories that we remembered about her and laughed at some of the funny memories we had. He seemed to be less tense once we all sat down and talked about Shaw with him. It was a really precious moment, and really wonderful to be able to go and visit her grave, as her death came very suddenly and after I had left, which was hard to grasp.

Miss Sue from Monkey River picked me up after our visit to Shawn's grave. We made our way through the orange field farms and into the jungle to end up in Monkey River 8 miles off the Southern Highway. We dropped Miss Sue's truck off at a friends home, jumped into a boat and made our way up the coast to her home and resort called Stepping Stones. Due to the roughness of the sea we went around the back and enjoyed a lovely smooth boat ride through a lagoon that leads to the back of their lot. It was lovely. We picked up her husband Mr. Chris and made our way back to Monkey River Village. A young woman named Elizabeth who resides in Orange Walk in the north was staying in the village over night and interviewing locals. She writes for the Belize Times and is doing an article on the erosion happening in Monkey River.

The beaches and land at Monkey River is beginning to disappear as the sea creeps slowly toward the village. In the last 9 months since I conducted the funeral for the young child in Monkey River, the sea has made it's way incredibly close to the graveyard. If nothing is done it will be gone soon and so will the village. The village used to be a town of over 8000 people, it's current population is 180. Chris and a number of the locals, as well as support from the government will be working in the next couple of weeks to put up wood barries about 500 feet out at sea to stop more water from coming in and allowing the river that runs into it to take it's course. I'm not 100% sure of how everything is to work, but with time, once the barriers are up, there is a very good chance that nature will takes it course and Monkey River will be home to the beach it is so well known for and residents will not be in danger of losing their homes and belongings.

We enjoyed Stew Chicken for lunch while Chris and Elizabeth talked about the erosion problem. Sue and I made our way to the church. Sue has been working to lead Sunday School for the children in the village 2 Sundays a month. She asked me if I would be willing to lead a family/children service when I was there. I said yes. Before my arrival she put up posters and we had 26 children and their parents come for the service. It was truly wonderful. Sue seemed to be very happy with the turn out! We said a couple of repeat-after-me prayers, a bunch of songs (that they led, because I didn't know any of them), and a question and answer period where myself and the adults quizzed the children on their bible knowledge. If they got a right answer they got a pencil!! They loved it. It was a short service, but a great one. Teacher Wally and Sue said, that I got points with that service because it was short and didn't lose the kids attention!!! It made me smile. From there, we walked to the school, I've never been inside and really wanted to see what the kids were up to. They have done a wonderful job of educating the children. It's very inspiring, particularly when taking into account that Miss Sue is volunteering her time to keep the school running and making sure the children are being offered incredible education. She's an amazing woman....a true blessing and inspiriation!!! The Anglican Church is so blessed to have her and Chris working in Belize and spreading the Good News!!

From there, we hopped a boat and made our way back to Chris and Sue's place. Chris and Sue own a home and some cabanas right on the seaside. Their resort is called Stepping Stones. It is lovely, incredibly comfortable, clean, welcoming, and hospitable located where the Jungle meets the sea. You look out one window and all you see is green jungle, the other side of the building is sea. I spent the night on their deck sipping wine, eating pringles, listening to the waves crash on the beach, the palm trees move in the wind, and watching the FireFlies fly in and out of the trees. It was a beautiful evening. It was wonderful to catch up with the Harris's.

This morning Sue and I jumped into the boat at about 10am and took a half an hour boat ride up the coast to Placencia where I was being dropped off in order to catch the Hokey Pokey back to Mango Creek. We said our goodbyes there and I hopped in another boat. I really do enjoy the whole getting around by boat, much more fun than driving!!! I got off at Mango Creek, wrapped myself in a shawl, as I look like a tomoatoe and the sun is brutally bright today and started my half an hour walk to Miss Lorna's. Just as I reached the half way point a van stopped in front of me and my favourite taxi driver Carl was waiting for me! It's so neat to be remembered, and to know people here. I jumped in the car, and he updated me on his life since last summer!! He seems to be doing really well and that makes me so glad!!

The rest of my day will be pretty low key. I leave Mango Creek at 7:30 tomorrow morning and head to Belize City. It's going to be really hard to leave, I'm going to miss it here. Until then, I will pack up my stuff, hangout with the Longsworth's, and keep my ears on the news as I listened for updates on the Swine Flu that has hit Mexico. I have no plans to be in Mexico during my time here, however, my flight on the way home does stop in Houston, Texas. Miss Sue said there could be a chance that they will be offering vaccinations upon my arrival in which case it might not be a bad idea to take it. We'll see what happens when I get there.

I'll write again in a couple of days, once I am settled in Belize City!!

C.

No comments: