Saturday, April 25, 2009

Maxin' and Relaxin' in Placencia

Not much to report today. The sky was overcast here today, and it was a bit windy. The Longsworth's and I decided to make our way over to Placencia anyway, we just decided that we would not go for a swim due to the waves. We decided to leave at around 11am this morning. Then Miss Lorna took the grandkids back to Mango Creek at 2:30 leaving me time to go and visit people that I knew in Placencia. I stopped by Miss Sonia's house. She wasn't expecting me and was very surprised to see me. We had a lovely little chat, not long as she was pretty tired, she's a very very busy woman. She was telling me about the new priest in Placencia and how they also have a new Treasurer. You could tell she was relieved to have other people stepping up and taking leadership in the church as she was doing it all up until December. She's a remarkable woman. Just before I left, she went to her cupboard and pulled out a jar of homemade Guava Jelly. It's my favourite and I was so touched that she remembered. Hopefully this one will last me longer than the last one did. I don't think the other jar made it to Canada my parents and I ate it all!!

From there I went to meet some other friends who I got to know really well in Placencia last summer, however, they have moved and through our correspondence before hand, did not get information about where they lived so was not able to get together with them. So I went back to my spot on the beach, pulled up a beach chair and sat in front of the sea and read for a good 2 1/2 hours. It was so lovely. Just before I took off to the water taxi, I made my way to my favourite Gelato shop and ordered myself a scoop of Sour Sap and Lime Gelato. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

My walk home from the water taxi was great. I met up with Mr. Peter's (my neighbour from last year) in Placencia. We took the taxi back together and he walked with me through town. A number of lee ones came running up to me for hugs!! It's really great to be remembered it really makes it feel more like home.

I'm now sitting at Miss Lorna's house, trying to keep my eyes open. Even though my day wasn't very eventful it took a lot out of me. I got a bit sunburned today, and am not looking forward to going to sleep, I have a feeling it's going to be an uncomfortable one, but I'll manage.

My time in Mango Creek is coming to an end and I don't want it to. Shanton asked me today if tomorrow was the last time he was ever going to see me again. My heart broke a little inside, we've had a lot of fun this week, and I'm going to miss him terribly. I told him that I would definitely come back to visit. I think Belize is going to be a place that I visit yearly, the culture has officially become a part of me, I'm hooked. It would be great to be able to bring a group of young people down to do mission work here, it's a goal that I have, and hope to meet in the near future. There is so much that could be done down here, and I would love to be able to bring others down and introduce them to this part of the world and allow them to experience the culture, lifestyle and hospitality of Belize, and ultimatley to see God at work in the communities here. Something to pray about!!

I'm going to go and put some Aloe Vera gel on my arms and legs, my skin's a little hot and sore. Talk to you soon!

Chelsy

No comments: